Monday, May 7, 2012

Little Miracles

Miracles do happen

Here's Aunt Helenes letter for Tuesday!! It's REALLY interesting  and has a happy ending!! Me and Mom love to read stories like this 'cause it proves there's miracles out there for those homeless furkids. Ya just gotta believe!!
 
Dear friends of Frances!

Thank you for voting for us. Please we need every day your vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still waiting to hear more news about our upcoming adoption in Canada – this will be number 4 to go to Canada.

Our first adopted dog in Canada was sent in 2010 to my beloved friend Fiona. The story started with the visit of Sarah from Canada in Dogland in Costa Rica. She liked our place very much. A few weeks later she wrote me from Canada that she cannot forget a dog she saw in Playa Samara during her vacations. I offered her to travel to Playa Samara to look for the dog, take him with me and send him after recovering to Canada. But I couldn´t find the dog. On the way back to my car a lady was coming to me and asked if am Helene and what I am looking for. I showed her the picture of the dog and she answered that she knows the dog. A friend of her adopted him a few weeks ago. I was so excited but when we called the man he told us that this dog died two days before I arrived.

I was so sad and wrote all to Sara.

Sara´s friend Fiona was touched about the story and she liked also that I was willing to travel to find the dog. She was looking for a dog and she decided to adopt a dog from Dogland.

This is her first letter she sent me:

Hello Helene!

I am Fiona, a friend of Sarah Lowe's.  I believe she may have been in contact with you recently? Through Sarah, I have heard many wonderful things about you and about your dog rescue efforts!

We live in Ontario, Canada though we have been spending the last year in France.  We are now en route back to our home near Toronto.  We had been planning this year in France for over 5 years, and also planned to get a dog once we finished this sabbatical year.

And that time has come!

I am really excited to think that we might bring a dog into our homes and hearts in the near future.  We have been dogless for the last 5 years, since my 2 beloved dogs, Sprite and Basil, both passed away within a month of each other due to age-related health problems.  They were 13 and 14 yrs old.  At the time, our children were babies and we decided to hold off on adopting a furry family member.  The children are now 5 and 7 yrs old, and love dogs and are looking forward to adopting one.  We also have 2 cats, one of whom is quite elderly.

I would be honored if you would consider us as an adoptive family for one of your wonderful dogs there in Costa Rica.  I don't really know how we go about this process, so any information you can give me, or any questions you have for me, would be wonderful!

We want to open our hearts and home to a dog who is gentle with children and ignores cats. My son, who is 7, has boundless energy and would love a dog to play chase with and throw a ball to.  My daughter, aged 5, thinks she would like to dress a dog up in a tutu and have a tea party with him or her!  I have tried to explain that most dogs would not want to wear a tutu or drink tea!   Jane is working on a new plan that involves petting a dog and brushing him or her.  We own our own home, and have a very large fenced back yard.  I expect that I could take a dog to work with me much of the time as I am a veterinarian, so I work in a very dog-friendly environment.

I hope you will consider us if you have a dog that might be happy in our home!

Best wishes,
Fiona

We exchanged many e-mails and I sent many pictures and descriptions and finally Fiona decided for Moritz. I was so nervous when I sent my first dog to Canada and waited late in the night until Fiona sent me the good news – HE ARRIVED WELL and she liked him!!!

Moritz is living a wonderful life with Fiona and her family. It makes me so happy that Fiona always sends me photos and reports because she knows I love all my dogs deeply and they are always in my heart.

Fiona is a vet so it will be no surprise that she is an avid animal lover and had been a dog owner in the past. And after living abroad for a year, Fiona and her husband knew the time had come to add another member to their family. The entire adoption process took only 12 days. From the initial introduction to the time Moritz touched down in Toronto.  Moritz was chosen for Fiona and her family because of his playful and gentle nature and his ability to get along with cats!

By all reports the match is perfect. Now, when Moritz isn’t running around with Fiona’s 5 and 7 year old children he can be found keeping company with her other pets, 2 cats.

Just yesterday arrived again an e-mail from Fiona with two beautiful pictures of Moritz. She wrote:

Hi Helene!

Just wanted to let you know that Moritz is continuing to do well and has so much fun here with us. Here is a photo taken today at a park. We were there for 3 hours and he ran around where-ever he wanted, chasing bugs and having fun with the children!
He is such a sweet dog!

Thanks again for sending him to us!
Love Fiona

Fiona and her family were in the fortunate position of being able to adopt a dog, but many other dog lovers aren't. For this reason I created a sponsorship program that allows people to sponsor one of the dogs so that I can continue to provide them with all the necessities of life. Please take a look at www.meetyourdog.com to see current residents of 'Dogland' – page “Our beloved dogs”.

We got today two more dogs for boarding.

No comments: